From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 10:09:59 -0500 (CDT)
Popcorning = Cracking of the plastic component body during reflow. This
is caused by moisture absorbed by the plastic, which then turns to steam
during reflow. This situation can jeopardize long-term reliability of the
part.

Delamination = Separation of the internal package interface; silicon to
mold compound; mold compound to lead frame; silicon to die attach
adhesive and paddle, etc. Delam is less prevalent than cracking (see
above), but may result in wire bond degradation, which also can jeopardize
the long-term reliability of the part.

I'm not positive about floating, but one definition is:

Floating = A connector mounting device that allows for connector body
movement in order to ease its alignment with a mating part or assembly.

You may want to obtain a copy of IPC-SM-786A, "Procedures for
Characterizing and Handling of Moisture/Reflow Sensitive ICs," which was
published earlier this year. It provides tutorial background on component
handling and reflow problems, in addition to the specifications for
classifying and handling plastic surface mount ICs. Price: $15 IPC
members, $30 nonmembers.

For a good general guide to terms and definitions, try IPC-T-50E, "Terms
and Definitions for the Interconnecting and Packaging of Electronic
Circuits." Price: $30 members, $60 nonmembers.

Both documents are available from IPC, 708-677-2850, ext. 348.

Mike Buetow
IPC Technical Staff
7380 N. Lincoln Avenue
Lincolnwood, IL 60646