TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
Howard Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:58:25 -0400
James,

We do not inspect for solder beads under chip components, and from a
random inspection, I have not seen any.  However, until recently, we have
had a horrendous problem with squeeze out beads, which because of our
no-clean process, have to be picked off one at a time.  I estimate
500,000, give or take 100,000 or so, solder beads per month have been
removed from our boards.

I stated "until recently" we had solder beads, because after changing
solder paste a month ago, the solder beads have virtually gone away, much
to the delight of the operators.  Other process changes like homeplate
aperture design, reduced stencil thickness, and improved reflow profile
have helped a lot, but the new paste put a closure on this issue.  Good
luck!

Howard Watson
Manufacturing Engineer
AMETEK/Dixson

"Marsico, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
09/26/01 01:44 PM
Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."