TECHNET Archives

July 2002

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:58:30 -0400
My experience with bacteria was similar to Doug's. I don't think we
detected the issue with ROSE test methods at the assembly level but
noticed reduced performance from the mixed beds. And like Doug's we
cleaned the heck out of everything and installed UV in-line to kill life
in the water. Here, at the EMPF today we use a similar system to prevent
growth in the lab water. But, I'm not sure how much good it would do to
kill the bacteria once deposited on the boards, which it sounds like you
are proposing. I don't recall even considering that approach.
Bev suggested that live contamination brings with it electrolytes. Would
merely killing them remove the contaminate?

I suspect that you will have to get them off the board, dead or alive.
Let us know what happens.