From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:38:27 -0600
This was posted to technet:

>From: Sasi Murthy
>448-5688 (tie 778)
>Subject: Wire Cutting and Stripping
>Can anyone offer advice on this. Please respond directly to
>[log in to unmask] as this person does not have Technet access. Thanks
>in advance,
>
>Regards, Sasi
>Process Applications Engineer
>(416) 448-5688, fax (416) 448-4736
>*** Forwarding note from PBOURGEO--TORVMFG1 12/12/96 16:41 ***
>To: SMURTHY --TORVMFG1 Murthy, S.K. (Sasi
>
>>From The Keyboard of Paul Bourgeois...
>Subject: Wire Cutting and Stripping
>
>Sasi,
>as per our conversation earlier today,
>
>I am looking for an alternative to our Komax Model 33 Wire Cutting and
>Stripping machine.  Specifically, 90% of the wire that the machine cuts is
>30 AWG teflon coated wire, and I would like to know if there is a machine
>that could be hard-tooled to specifically cut 30 AWG wire.  I am interested
>only in machines that are capable of mass-producing cut wire: no hand tools
>would be feasible for our daily demands of roughly 4000 cut wires.
>
>One final equipment specification is reliablility and usability.  The machine
>should be one designed specifically for industrial mass-production, along the
>same lines as the Komax Model 33.
>
>Some specifics for our applications:
>LOA of wire: 0.3"-10"+
>Strip lengths: 0.03"-0.20"
>Wire Type: 30AWG Teflon Coated
>Average Cycle Time Demanded: Approx 100 wires / minute(or better)
>Price Range: $5,000-$15,000 for the machine (de-reelers and straighteners not
>             required).
>Machine Features: Hard-Tooled Cutting Blade Specific to 30 AWG Wire.

About 5 years ago we were preparing Kynar insulated 30 AWG wire for
wire-wrapping backplanes. There were various lenghts and colors, and we did
some mod wires in Teflon, as well.

I had a salesman demo the Schleuniger machine, with the "challenge" that it
should be able to process 30 AWG wire or forget it.

The machine worked surprisingly well. It is software controlled, and
operates with solenoids (no air cylinders). We were able to prepare 30 AWG
wire with V-blades only.

Have never seen a Komax, but I thought that the Schleuniger was basically
an improvement of the Komax.

One problem you may have is the Teflon material is very "plastic" and even
threads of it will sometimes stretch off as the cut insulation tries to
separate.

Based on my experience with the Schleuniger, I'd say it would at least be
worth a demo, it worked much better than I expected, and made me regret the
many hours I had spent in the past working on an old Eubanks (but they
probably have a better machine since the 70's).

Schleuniger is at 603-668-8117 (95 NEPCON listing)

regards,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX USA