From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 96 17:08:19 cst

Hi TechNet!

Just an added note to Jerry Cupples's reply:

>>"Our 63/37 solder joints are 3-4 times the strength requirements set by IPC,
>thus an increase in strength is not cost effective with the high volumes of
>paste we use.  And even though we have seen a very low number of palladium
>silver components, I am not convinced that a 2% silver is going to buy us
>much since palladium is supposed have a 100% dissolution rate with tin provided
>your reflow profiles are set up correctly(with sufficient time over reflow).

I don't follow your logical procession there, but maybe I get lost easily. But I
think that most of the palladium you see will be on those d--n TI IC leads, and
the silver probably won't help you wet them. I thought tin-lead was as strong as
SN62."

*We are using 63/37 solder paste with typical reflow profiles and not having
any problems with the TI palladium finished ICs. The Pd diffuses into the
solder joint and SEM analysis can't find it. Keep in mind there is very little
Pd on those components which makes the solderability sometimes a problem. The
Pd finishes are very flux sensitive (or at least our testing has shown
that!)*.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins