TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 15:51:39 -0400
Steven responded to my earlier post off line and I would like to amend the
post with these additional lines.

Users always have the option of relaxing their acceptance criteria if the
standard is more rigorous than required.

Under section 6.3.1, which provides an exception to the vertical fill
requirements in Class 2 products, a note adds a warning to users:

Less than 100% fill many not be adequate to ensure reliability in some
service environments. The note does not suggest that 50% is acceptable for
class 3 products. The note requires users to notify manufactures when 100%
vertical fill is necessary to ensure product reliability.

The vertical fill  requirements were discussed at length (hours) during
development of the standard. Steven's opinion is not reflected in the text
of the standard. While there were members that would agree with him, it was
not the consensus of the committee.

Guy Ramsey
Senior Technician / Instructor
 <mailto:[log in to unmask]>