From:
"BWOOLDRI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 95 07:58:35 CST
First, let me clarify what I think is your question.  Your
reference is to IPC-A-610B, section 4.1, Table 4-1.  No such
table exists in IPC-A-610A.

There is no given percentage for a maximum quantity of pinholes
as long as the wetting requirements described in Table 4-1 are
met.  This is stated in the SPECIAL NOTE in section 4.1, page 52
in the middle of the first column on the page.  Wetting to the
lead and PTH barrel are the key characteristics which must be met
assuming the minimum hole fill is met.

Obviously, the more pinholes or voids in a solder joint the more
likely that this will effect wetting between lead and barrel.
Hopefully, I've addressed your question.

Bruce Wooldridge
DSC Communications
Vice Chairman, IPC-A-610 Task Group
214/519-6170