From:
"Phillip R Barela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
29 Sep 1995 08:02:17 -0700

Bob,
Depending on what your time frame is, we may be able to work together.  JPL is
managing a consortium to assess the reliability of BGA soldered interconnects.
We are fairly well along in the project.  Members include: ITRI, IBM (East
Fishkill & Canada-Celestica), Boeing, Hughes, Altron, Rochestor Institute of
Technology, the EMPF, Amkor Anam, and Xetel.  We've designed the test vehicles
and are ready to begin assembly (middle of October).

We have 200 test vehicles with four parts each.  We are testing 9 different part
types which are centered on 300 and 600 I/O.  We have OMPAC, SuperBGA, perimeter
and full arrays.  We also have a 560 I/O SuperBGA which will be power cycled to
failure.

We may be able to use your services following assembly for inspection.  This
would give you data and since we plan on testing to failure, quantifiable
criteria.  We are currently negotiating with Nicolet and Microfocus but would
like to talk to you.

Give me a phone call at your convienence.

Regards,

Phillip R. Barela, Technical Group Supervisor, Applications Engineering Group,
Jet Propulsion Laborator  phone: (818) 354-6870