From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 96 07:40:15 cst
     Hi Philip -

In response:

1. Please let me know if you have any information regarding pre-tinning of the
leads of metal can devices and guidance where solder gets into contact with
component bodies.   In previous contracts for USA we were advised that solder
contact on bodies meant reject.

**Many components can have the "pretinning" contact the component bodies but
there are many instances (e.g. crystals) where it can not because it would
damage the component. The standard rule of thumb is to avoid tinning right to
the component bodies. You could make up a list of what parts can and can't have
tinning touch the component bodies but this would be time consuming.

2. J-STD-002 section 3.5.1 calls for a temperature of 260 +- 5 deg cent. in
connection with the temperature of the solder pot.     The question from
ourselves is the effect of the solder pot not keeping to the required tolerance
spec.

**Most solder pots are capable of maintaining the +/- 5 C temperature. The
temperature tolerance was put into the specification so that the test conditions
the test samples are subjected to are the same whether the test location is in
Iowa or China. Test D is a measure of the dissolution rate of a component
metallization and the temperature is an important variable. You should control
the solder pot to the +/- 5 C for those two reasons.

3. Please let me know if IPC have produced a document to supersede MIl-C-28809
which is now withdrawn.

**Sorry, I don't an answer to this one.

Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Please excuse me if these following questions are already in your system.  We at
this end are experiencing computer problems.

1. Please let me know if you have any information regarding pre-tinning of the
leads of metal can devices and guidance where solder gets into contact with
component bodies.   In previous contracts for USA we were advised that solder
contact on bodies meant reject.

2. J-STD-002 section 3.5.1 calls for a temperature of 260 +- 5 deg cent. in
connection with the temperature of the solder pot.     The question from
ourselves is the effect of the solder pot not keeping to the required tolerance
spec.

3. Please let me know if IPC have produced a document to supersede MIl-C-28809
which is now withdrawn.

Thanks

Philip Duncan
Interconnection Engineering