IPC-600-6012 Archives

May 2002

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 17:25:53 -0400
It is interesting how a few words can get many interpolations....Here is
mine...

1. I have not seen a conflict.

2. 3.8.1 is written for the solder mask area..."manufacturing variations
resulting in skips, voids,.....   any resulting exposed copper needs
touchup".

3. 3.5.4.6.  Is written for finished boards. It allows exposed copper only
on non-solderable surfaces, For example circuit lines, ground planes,
plating thieving.  The resulting exposed copper could be for any number of
reasons, solder mask missing, small scratch, design error, etc. I don't know
of anyone having a functional issue with this amount of exposed area.

 As written this applies to any finish including OSP. The percent thing is a
little flaky.  I have always thought the intent is a "very small" about of
exposed copper is allowed on the bd's nonsolderable features. A max
dimension and a max number per bd would be a better way to define it than a
percentage.  Today if I had to determine  a percent, I would default to the
percent definition for measles we used in IPC-600.  The area of all measles
divided by the total board area.  Obviously this is very hard or impossible
to calculate.

Bottomline:  If we can change the percent to a max size and max number, that
maybe the only change necessary.

Mike