IPC-600-6012 Archives

May 2002

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Scott Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 13:51:27 -0400
John,
I do not see a conflict between these two sections.  It is clear to me that
3.5.4.6 is dealing with final finishes which are defined in 1.3.4.3.
Section 3.8.1 is dealing with the solder resist coverage and therefore does
not conflict with the final finish criteria.  Section 3.3.8 and Table 3-4
does allow for exposed copper at the junction of gold plating to a solder
finish so maybe section 3.5.4.6 should reference the percentages in addition
to this criteria.

Another note, MIL-PRF-55110 Section A.3.5.2.5 allows for .010 of exposed
base metal between the solder resist and the final conductor finish.  This
may have come about for selective tin lead strip / SMOBC technology, so does
6012 cover this anywhere?  This is an easier criteria to measure as compared
to a percentage.

Best regards,
Scott A. Bowles
Director of Quality and Technology