DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 96 08:37:36 CST

Having all the components line up nice and neatly on the PWB improves manual
"inspectionability," and improves solderability using an IR reflow process.
However, most contract assemblers are using convection reflow which reduces the
shadowing effect.  The problem is just what you had encountered,
non-optimization of trace routing.  If the engineer is developing a high-speed
circuit, they just may be SOL.  Don't forget to point out to the engineer that
layer-count could increase, which would increase the cost of his board (maybe
unnecessarily).  This topic is not good to make generalizations.  It really
comes down to the design at hand.

In addition, you should not be prohibited from placing passive chip components
on the secondary side of the PWA.  The person(s) requiring this may be concerned
about electical testing of the PWB which would require simultaneous,
double-sided testing because of the existance of SMTs on two sides.  As good
design practice, you really should attempt to place all components on one side
of the PWA.  There are many "hidden" costs when components are placed on two
sides viz a viz one side.  However, you shouldn't be PROHIBITED.

Regards,

John R. Kretsch, P.E.
Engineer, Design Assurance