DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:54:16 -0500
Now it is Mr. Lomax who is not speaking "precisely".

To quote from Francis Weston Sears, MIT, in his excellent book
"Mechanics Heat Sound", published by  Addison-Wesley, p392, "The term
convection is applied to the transfer of heat from one place to
another by the actual motion of hot material.  The hot-air furnace and
the hot-water heating system are examples.  If the heated material is
forced to move by a blower or pump, the process is called 'forced'
convection; if the material flows due to differences in density, the
process is called 'natural' or 'free' convection.

A body above absolute zero is cooled by one of TWO processes,
'radiative' cooling to the environment or 'conductive' cooling to
another body, which in this case is AIR which is then 'convected' away
"if" there is either forced air flow by a fan or the box is not sealed
and natural convective forces are allowed to work as I previously
stated.

It is VERY important to me that the intervening air be understood to
be a working fluid that the heat is transferred TO because it's own
temperature affects how  much heat can be transferred to it.  That is
why I made to comment about Alaska versus the Sahara.  That is why hot
air does not cool as well as cooler air (and there is probably getting
to be plenty of that in this thread).

Were the working fluid a dielectric fluid (oil or fluorocarbon) in
which the board was immersed or say a heat pipe containing sodium
metal, the effect is still the same, a CONVECTIVE one involving the
CONDUCTION of heat to a intervening material between the heat emitter
and the heat absorber.  As Mr. Lomax implied but did not so state, a
vacuum offers no fluid medium and thus no convection at all.

Look, I'm not interested in a game of semantics here -I'm interested
in helping fellow PC designers understand physics in plain English; if
a lack of "preciseness" is needed to make some sense of this then I am
all for it.  Guilty as charged!

I still maintain that punching a bunch of holes in a PC board with
clad on both sides to serve as a heat sink is a worthless endeavor but
do what you will.  Until and unless I see some math to back it up, I
for one, will not use the technique.  I've done more than my share of
optical and temperature measurements (critical fluctuations of CO2 at
its triple point [where it is a gas/liquid and solid] is one such
experiment and it took THREE boxes within boxes with three temperature
control loops to do it {to hold the temp to a millidegree} but before
we did the experiments, we had an idea where we were headed and used
math to get there.

That is THE way to be "precise", in my opinion.

Bob Landman
H&L