DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:19:30 -0500
Well...

If you want to get into the nitty-gritty, there are but TWO forms of
heat transfer I am aware of to either heat or cool, radiation and
conduction.  Convection is not a means of heat transfer.  It is moving
a body with its associated energy from one place to another, e.g. the
air (a thermodynamic fluid) is heated by conduction from the heat
source and it then moves from one part of the equipment to another
either naturally [heated air rises as it has expanded and thus is more
boyant] provided there are inlet and outlet air vents in the equipment
and we are not in a vacuum or by force via a fan.  Technically fan
cooling is convection just as a "convection oven" is an oven with a
fan in it - they should called them "forced convection ovens" but they
don't.  I should have said "natural or free convection" as none of the
equipment I design uses fans but instead relies upon natural
convection to remove heat from components to the ambient environment
(which can be up to 85C).

Obviously, a fan does increase the exchange rate of the air so that
new cooler air replaces it and thus conduction again heats the new
air.  Of course if this fan system is in a sealed room you eventually
reach an equilibrium temperature which then depends on the radiation
out of the room and that depends on the temperature of the environment
outside the room.  Nome Alaska cools a room (nomatter how good the
insulation) far better than the Sahara.  I don't like fans; they are
noisy, they fail, their filters clog (or there are no filters), the
equipment becomes a vacuum cleaner and dirt is deposited everywhere
internally (they don't help the life of floppy disk drives).  The best
I ever saw in a fan cooling design was in Tektronix oscilloscopes (my
465 has this feature) - a temperature controlled variable speed QUIET
fan.  I hardly put up as an example of a good industrial design a PC
and it's fan!  These are throwaways - we design for the -40 to +85C
regime and 30 years life and as you do spacecraft, I'm sure your
designs are even more conservative (even with the Space Shuttle, a
service call is pretty expensive in space!).

Yes, of course, two surfaces that radiate (both sides of the PCB) are
better than one as is twice the surface area.  And the fact is that a
tin-lead plated copper plate is a lousy radiator - blacken it and it's
much better.  But then what is it radiating TO?  Blacken the walls of
the container (3M used to make a lampblack type paint that was ~90%
absorbing) and it can suck up a lot of radiated heat.  Of course then
it has to radiate that heat to the outside environment.

I find it hard to believe the general statement that holes in a PCB
will cool unless the air is flowing through the board and that depends
upon the position of the board doesn't it?  If you are going to all
that trouble, a clip-on heatsink sticking up in the breeze would be
far better than the PCB.

As for me, I'm not a big fan of "experimental" evidence.  I prefer
good theory backed by some experiments on the particular design
because there are too many variables in each design that influence
cooling.  I'd still like to see the calculations.  I've not got the
time to dust off my old physics or ME books but it's in there under
either radiation or heat transfer topics, I'm sure.

Regards,

Bob Landman
H&L