DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Beckman, Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:27:21 -0600
Karl, Peggy, fellow designers,

I agree Abd ul-Rahman.  The Top Gun hall of Fame Contest is a test of the
designers, not the software.  Each participant used the software of their
choice.  I used Mentor Graphics software because that is what I use on the
job, and what I am most familiar with.  Judging of the board designs (50% of
the scores) was done on a CAM system using the final outputs (Gerber files,
drawings, etc.)  The files were carefully screened before judging to remove
any reference to the designer, his/her company, and the software used.  If
you look at the board evaluation checklist on the Top Gun Spring 99 website
you will see how the designs were scored on a point system.

Everyone in the group I competed with is a Top Gun, but only 3 were inducted
into the Hall of Fame.  VeriBest use the results in their advertising to
promote their software, but I feel it is merely a coincidence that most
winners so far have been VeriBest users.

Roy H. Beckman, C.E.T.
Senior PCB Designer / System Administrator
Harris Canada, Inc.
6732 - 8th Street, N.E.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2E 8M4
Phone:  403-295-4758
Fax:  403-295-4622
email:[log in to unmask] <mailto:email:[log in to unmask]>