COMPLIANCENET Archives

October 1999

ComplianceNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Holly Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ComplianceNet E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:18:47 -0500
Dear Compliancenetters:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has agreed to extend the comment
period on this rulemaking for another 45 days specifically to conduct small
business outreach!

This rulemaking would lower the Toxic Release Inventory reporting threshold
for lead and lead compounds from 25,000 lbs to 10 pounds, resulting in new
reporting burdens for thousands of small IPC members.

This development represents a significant win for the IPC which was
scheduled to testify last Thursday on the fact that the agency failed to
work with the industry to minimize the rule's small business impact.  The
agency, realizing the error of its rulemaking, agreed to provide more time
for comment, which it will use to hold two nationwide stakeholder meetings
to gauge the rule's small business impact.  The agency has pledged to use
the information gathered to modify the proposal if warranted.

Senator Bond, Chair of the Senate Small Business Committee, cancelled the
hearing pending the agency's action and agreement to work more closely with
small business industries, such as the IPC on this rule.

IPC will submit comments on this rule as the comment period nears. Please
reply directly to me if you have any questions on this rule.

Holly Evans
Vice President of Government Relations
IPC
2600 Virginia Ave., Suite 408