DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:40:03 -0700
Thanks, Dee.  You, and several other members of this group, have been very
helpful.

The formula for calculating the anti-pad is the same in both IPC-D-275 and
its replacement, 222x - Clearance area (diameter) =  Max hole diameter + 2B
(Standard Fabrication Allowance) + A (Electrical Clearance).  The difference
appears to be that the 2221's Minimum Standard Fabrication Allowance table
has dropped maximum board size from consideration.  I'm glad to see that but
am now concerned about the spread (0.15 mm from A to B and only 0.05 from B
to C).  Interesting, to say the least.  I also find it interesting that the
Standard Fabrication Allowance is doubled when calculating for anti-pads and
not when calculating for pads.  Thus, for a Level A design, the tolerance is
+/- 0.4 mm for an anti-pad and +/- 0.2 mm for a pad, regardless of whether
it is an external, internal, or a nonfunctional pad on the plane.  See the
dilemma?

I tell you something else that it does not cover (very well, at least) - the
clearance width between the pad and the surrounding plane for a thermal
relief (the space across which the web segments span).  The Clearance Area
in Planes figure gives a space of 0.25 mm (0.010") minimum for a
Nonfunctional Land but no mention is given for a thermal relief.  What do
you think about that?

As Tim indicated, I have just about beat this horse to death.  It's
frustrating to see these discrepancies and try to point them out, just to
have the officials from IPC continue to defend what is printed (or not
printed, as the case may be).

Ray