DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:36:49 -0400
Off the subject, Jack, but, yes, excellent place, Grass Valley.  Good winery,
beautiful gold country (Grass Valley Group, formerly Tektronix Div is there, Ray
and named after the town).  Several good friends there (do you know Larry Litton
of Litton Engineering Labs or Lyn & Bob Bacon?

Back on the subject:  how does IPC come to make these standards?  Do you all
participate in committees and where is headquarters located?  How does a
reported apparent error like this get resolved?  Is there a formal process in
place to get this handled?  Ray is on to something here and I too would like to
see it resolved as he is laboring to produce an update to his PadMaker program
that will follow the IPC standard if that makes sense.  A tolerance on a hole
that increases just because the board gets bigger doesn't make a whole lot of
sense unless the board gets really huge.  Sure, there are bound to be 'some'
positional errors handling a very big board, say 48" as opposed to a 6" board
but the scaling factor Ray has reported seems pretty gross.

Regards,

Bob Landman
H&L