DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Tim D. Reid" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:20:10 -0500
 You can lead a horse to water, but you can also beat it to death.

Date sent:              Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:46:40 -0700
Send reply to:          "DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>,
        Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: [DC] IPC Specs - Errors?
Originally to:          [log in to unmask]
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Gary,

My comments to your latest follows....

> This explanation will be a difficult one so here goes. The left hand
> illustration in figure 5-18 indicates a minimum 0.010 inch clearance
between
> a land and its clearance in the plane. The purpose of this minimum has to
do

This clearance is for a pad-to-plane, not an anti-pad.  I would presume that
it could be used for the OD of a thermal, too, since IPC-D-275 does not
address this dimension.  (It does address the Web size, but not the
clearance size between the inner pad and the surrounding plane.)  Consider
this - If I design a Level A PCB with a maximum dimension of 12" inches,
maximum voltage of 100V and use anti-pads (clearance pads) on the planes,
they would need to be 90 to 92 mils in diameter.  However, if, rather than
using anti-pads, I use a donut shape (pad with a clearance ring), it would
have an ID of 60 mils and an OD of 80, still meeting all the requirements
for clearance, including the electrical clearance.  If, according the the
specs, they can keep the drill within a given tolerance for an internal pad,
then why would it need to be doubled for an anti-pad?  I ask that you set
aside any pre-concieved ideas (as I did before I started this) and consider
the entire process of building a padstack, with all the tolerances given in
the specification.  It has been my experience that this is an area that most
designers do not fully understand.  Rather than spending the time necessary
(which most don't have) to ferret out the data, they just use what seems to
work, whether or not it is correct.  IPC could go a long ways in clearing up
this confusion and providing the data in a clear, easy-to-understand format.

> The input received by the committee is that the designer must design in a
> larger space, no less than 0.010 inch. this will enable the fabricator to
> obtain a more reliable inspection from his AOI equipment.

This is true for, and applies to, PADS on the plane layer, not anti-pads.
We have two seperate issues, here, which are getting confused.

> Now let us relate it to the other examples in figure 5-18 which refer to
> landless unsupported and supported holes. Obvious to us is that we require

These are for the anti-pads (clearance pads) used for pins that are not to
be connected to the plane.

> minimum electrical space. We must also prevent the resulting space from
> getting too small as to create a similar problem with the AOI systems. We
> attempt to accomplish this by requiring a reasonable fabrication allowance
on
> each side of the hole. Granted, in fine line and space applications, the
> spacing may become smaller than our 0.010 inch minimum. But in more case
than

The 0.010 inch minimum does not apply to anti-pads; only to PADS that are on
the planes.  In any case, if the drill is off by a majority or all of the
fabrication allowance (whatever amount it is), the only clearance left
around the hole is the electrical clearance, which is less than 0.010 inch
for voltages up to 300V.  The data is wrong and needs a complete review.

> Furthermore, I wish to draw your attention to paragraph 5.3.1.4 Edge
Spacing.
> This paragraph is concerned with copper spacing to a board edge. That edge
> can be an outside edge or the inside edge of a cutout in the board. An
> unsupported hole may also be construed as a cutout. The paragraph
indicates a
> requirement of minimum electrical spacing plus 0.016 inch. The last number
> reflects a hard process allowance instead of the variable one used in our
> previous discussions. This is to ensure that from an electrical product
> safety standpoint, that a conductor does not come too close to a board
edge.

This clearance has to do with the fact that board edges and cutouts are
performed with routers and shears, extending several inches, in some cases,
which are not as accurate as a drill bit when drilling a hole.  Sometimes,
the edges are V-scored or tab-routed and later broken apart by hand.  The
additional clearance for board edges and cutouts, when the above is consider
ed, makes sense.

> I would also like to point out that in IPC-2221 Generic Standard on
Printed
> Board Design, one of the replacements for IPC-D-275 that the Standard
> Fabrication Allowance table has significantly changed.

Has the amounts changed?

> I hope that this helps clarify your concerns.

Not yet.  I appreciate your continued attempt, but do believe the data to be
in error.  If you will take the time to run all the numbers and look at all
the data, I think you will agree.  I look forward to your findings.

> Regards,
>
> Gary Ferrari
> Executive Director
> IPC Designers Council