DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:15:29 -0700
Tim,
Agreed, inner layers require additional clearance.  For pads on internal
layers, this allowance is covered with the reduced annular ring
specification in table 5-11 of IPC-D-275 and with the fact that you use the
maximum DRILLED hole size in the formula, rather than the FINISHED hole
size.  Notice that there is no additional fabrication allowance for internal
pads in table 5-10 or in the formula used to calculate the minimum pad size,
with the exception of which size to use for the hole.

If the formula is correct, as you say, then it is saying that the
fabrication allowance on inner plane layers needs to be TWICE that of
external or internal signal layers.  I don't believe this to be true.  Also,
don't forget that the inner plane layers also have the electrical clearance
to be added in for each side of the hole and they are using the maximum
drilled hole size, which adds another 2 to 4 mils.

Breakout, unless specified, is not acceptable.  Provided the PCB vendor
stays within the fabrication allowance specified (Producibility Level A, B
or C), there will be no breakout.  Even if there was, then how much?  The
purpose for adding the minimum annular ring to the fabrication allowance is
to insure that there IS a minimum annular ring, with no breakout.

Notice that for the minimum pad size example given (60-mil pad with a 40-mil
(finished) hole, up to 12" Level C PCB), the anti-pad on the plane layers
would be 70 to 72 mils for a PCB with a maximum voltage differential of
0-100V.  This provides 4 mils per side (+/- .004) for electrical clearance,
10 mils per side (+/- .010) for fabrication allowance, and 1 to 2 mils per
side for dilled (not finished) hole size.  This says that even if the drill
is off by 10 mils, the electrical clearance would be maintained  For a Level
A PCB, the fabrication allowance increases to 20 mils per side (+/- .020)!!!
(A 90 to 92-mil anti-pad!)   I could do that with a hand drill.

Ray Humphrey
DynaCad Design Services