DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:45:26 -0700
Gary,
Thank you very much for your prompt response.  I was hoping that of 655
subscribers to this list, someone would be able to shed some light on this
dilemma.

I understand the process and the purpose of the fabrication allowance and
the purpose of doubling the annular ring amount when calculating the minimum
pad size.  What I don't understand is this - notice that the fabrication
allowance from the table is to be included ONE time when calculating for the
minimum pad size, but is to be included TWICE, same as the electrical
clearance, when calculating for the clearance pad size (see Figure 5-18 - it
indicates the full fab allowance to be applied to each side of the hole).
This makes no sense and I believe it to be an error.

Notice that, in the example, the total fabrication allowance added to the
minimum pad size formula is 10 mils, giving a +/- 5-mil range.  However, in
calculating for the clearance pad, it would be 20 mils (10 on each side of
the hole), giving a +/- 10-mil range, twice the required tolerance.  The
purpose of the tolerance is to insure that there is at least the electrical
clearance provided, even if the drill was off by the full fabrication
allowance.  In doing it the way presented, you would not only have the
electrical clearance but also an additional 5 mils (the 10 allowed minus
what was required).  Not right.

Ray Humphrey
DynaCad Design Services