DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:44:51 -0700
Chris,
To simplify the formula, consider this:
The total of the web size is equal to 60% of the pad size.  Each web segment
is equal to the total divided by the number of segments.  Therefore:

For a .060" pad, the total web size would be .036", (.060 X .6 = .036).  For
a four-segment web, each segment would be .009" (.036 / 4 = .009).  For a
three-segment web, each would be .012" (.036/ 3 = .012), etc.

In addition, if your pad size is larger than the calculated minimum pad size
(minimum pad size = max finished hole size + (2 * annular ring) + fab
allowance) you need to decrease the web size by a like percentage.  I.E.
Calculated minimum pad size = .060" but you decide to use a .075" instead.
In this case, your actual pad size is 25% larger than the calculated
minimum.  So, you would need to decrease the total web size by the same 25%
from .036" to .027".  The reason for this makes sense, once you consider the
purpose of a thermal relief - to prevent too much copper area (in planes and
copper pours) for a given hole size from sinking the heat necessary to cause
the solder to flow completely to the top surface of the PCB during wave
soldering.  It also facilitates de-soldering of parts, without destroying
the external pads.

Additionally, again, :-), the total web size for all layers should never
exceed .160" for 1 oz copper or .080" for 2 oz copper.  (Notice the
decreased size for the heavier copper?  Same rules apply as for increased
pad size.)

I hope this has helped.  Feel free to contact me if you need additional
information.

Ray Humphrey
DynaCad Design Services