TECHNET Archives

July 1999

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:56:55 +0100
Ian

I believe that J-STD001A and B call up for a level that should be lower than
10.07 micrograms/square inch = < 1.5 / square centimetre.

Do bear in mind the following:

1  There are many types of ROSE / SEC testers each of which have different
interpretational values (that is to do with calibration). You must ask the
manufacturer of your system to provide you with the equivalency factor.

2  The standard was always intended to be a production control guide. Never
a pass / fail criteria.

However, as you and many others (including the DOD) seem intent upon
applying a pass/ fail, remember that the spec is also saying that it is
acceptable to leave UP TO 10 mg of NaCl equivalence on every square inch of
your assembly. If you are dealing with fine line/fine pitch, COB, BGA and
other such stuff, I think this level will almost certainly prove too high.

Hope this helps to stir things up...

Regards,
Graham Naisbitt

WEB: http://www.concoat.co.uk
Concoat Ltd
Alasan House, Albany Park
CAMBERLEY GU15 2PL UK

Tel: +44 (0) 1276 691100  Fax: +44 (0) 1276 691227