TECHNET Archives

May 1999

From:
"Ronald J. Leckfor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 08:41:30 -0400
     One way to train a crew that is new to the assembly, is to photograph a completed PC Board, with a 1.5 MegaPixel digital camera, with lens attachment capability of close shots or even a visible light filter for taking infrared thermographs of correctly operating boards to compare to malfunctioning boards to help out the test department as well with those tough cases, then using a Graphics package, such as Micrografx Picture Publisher 8 for (Wintel) or Adobe Photoshop (PowerMac) for Macintosh, to add labels, arrows, etc, to the photo.  In doing this, you can make a series of marked up photos, and import them into a procedure, so that you can show them exactly what needs done before the wave soldering process, and any installations of heat sensitive parts to be done in a post wave operation.

     If you are building it currently, just track a single board through the process, and take several pictures as it is getting stuffed, if there is a desired order need to stuff the assembly, the mark the photo's up!, put into a document, add captions, and you have an instant work instruction for next time.  The file size can be kept to a reasonable size by using the JPEG format for the digital photo's, by using the compression options presented during the save operation.  Of course you can use Stuffit (PowerMac)or Winzip (Wintel) to compress it even further.  This method, coupled with a competent 1200 dpi color printer (you could even do blow ups for high detail, onto 11" X 17" size paper, will do a great job of documenting, and prevent ESD to the example, as long as you observe proper ESD prevention procedures.  It costs more than a little bit to start this up, but doesn't that beat sticking little parts on tape?  After all, it has been said that a picture is worth a thousand words!

Ron Leckfor, BSAS-EET
Quality Control Coordinator
REM Electronics Supply, Inc
Warren, Ohio, USA