TECHNET Archives

May 1999

From:
David D Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 07:52:43 -0500
Hi David - One problem you are encountering in your attempt to characterize
what elements are associated with the white residue is the resolution of
your analytical methods. Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) is a great tool
and its Energy Dispersive xray spectroscopy (EDS) capabilities can find
lots of things but there are limitations. Typical detection limits are 0.5
atomic % using very good calibration standards. The sampling field is also
pretty large (in simple terms a teardrop shape zone is sampled where the
electron beam hits)  and the overall sample geometry (e.g. a flat surface
versus a 3D surface)  will impact your analysis resolution. Other
techniques such as Auger spectroscopy and Secondary ion mass spectroscopy
(SIMS) can be used to supplement the SEM-EDS to get better resolution if
needed. Also - to look get an idea of what the flux may be contributing to
the white residue the use of Fourier Transform Infrared analysis (FTIR) and
Ion Chromatography (as suggested by Terry Munson) are very useful. Good
Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

David yeh <[log in to unmask]> on 05/28/99 07:02:03 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]