DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 1998

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:27:11 -0500
From:
Garry Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Collins wrote:

> I have a situation where we have some sm1206ws parts laying horizontal in
> our designs and when we create the CAM output and look at it in GerbTool
> the horizontal pads for this component style are shifted by 1 mil to the
> left. When the same part is rotated vertical the 1 mil shift is not
> present. At first I thought this was universal to all the rectangular pads
> used but when I look at a 0805 part this is not the case it doesn't pick up
> this error.
>
> Has anyone else seen anything like this before.
>
> Steve Collins
> PCB Design Supervisor
> ANTEC Corp.
> 800-351-2345 X5572
>
> Reg No 1912

It is possible that the pin centers for the component are not on grid, or that the combination
of pin centre and flash size end up on a 1/2 mil grid. In this case the generation of the gerber
files will move the pads to the nearest .001" (if you are generating the phototools in 2.3
format)

To solve this problem, generate the phototools in 2.4 format, and make sure that the grid
setting in your gerber viewer is .0001"

...Cheers,   GarryH