TECHNET Archives

February 1998

From:
David D Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:30:27 -0600

Hi TechNet - Jack Crawford brings up an excellent point and I'll apologize
in advance if someone thinks this is soapboxing. There is no such thing as
a no-clean solder or flux. Solder and/or flux should really be called low
residue materials as this describes more accurately  the solder/flux's
material characteristics. No-clean is a process option (not a material
characteristic) which the process engineer can apply to his or her product.
Some low residue materials can be used either  in a no-clean process mode
or in a cleaning process mode (while some are strictly no-clean processable
only). I have spent considerable time explaining to operators that just
because the roll of solder wire says "no-clean" we just can't shut down our
cleaning processes. We cause ourselves considerable confusion by using
sloppy terminology.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

[log in to unmask] on 02/12/98 10:12:56 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]; Please respond to [log in to unmask]