DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 1997

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Taylor, Chris H." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:00:36 -0400
We use PADS PowerPCB and like it a lot. I have used P-CAD for years and
when the P-CAD train screeched to a halt we did not care for the Accel
Tango shell game. I cannot speak for any of the functionality of Accel,
but from what I have heard, you really should check out the manual
routing feature. It's pretty weak from what I hear. Back to PowerPCB,
there is a lot to like, they have a real slick "Dynamic Editor" option
(read, "option"), but even without it's presence, hand routing is such a
breeze. Another feature which is a real productivity enhancement is the
"Decal Wizard". It accepts field entered values for pad width and
length, pad spacing, row spacing (giving a choice of center to center,
outside or inside edge), silk-screen geometry, etc. and automatically
generates your footprint for you. You also have the option to create
dip, soic or quad package styles. The interface with the Specctra
Autorouter is also very smooth, as you can enter all of the design rules
for space, width, class, length, dif pairs, etc. while in PowerPCB very
easily. The schematic entry process is something you should keep in mind
while selecting a PCB design tool. We use ViewLogic's ViewDraw. While
the ECO process employs a somewhat archaic DOS batch file routine to
"marry" the two ASCII files generated by PoewrPCB and ViewDraw, it is
really a minor nuisance which ViewLogic and PADS are working on
converting to a Windows Menu pick process within PoewrPCB. I highly
recommend the combination of ViewDraw and PowerPCB because ViewDraw
allows the entire design rules intent (space, width, class, length, dif
pairs, etc.) to be captured within the schematic using net and symbol
attributes. Component placement attributes may also be entered
individually or in groups within the schematic as well. Such control is
simply not available using the PADS schematic editor. I recommend a VAR
right in your back-yard, TSI. They all are very knowledgeable and
professional and their response time is always fast. Feel free to call
for any additional information and try any software out personally
before you buy. Find out also how many companies in your area presently
use the perspective tool because local user's groups are a very valuable
resource. No one has the whole picture...

Chris Taylor
Senior Printed Circuit Designer
LXE, Inc.
125 Technology Parkway