TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Sheila Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 08:28:17 -0400 (EDT)
Jamie,

Our manufacturing folks have used vapor honing as a method of surface prep
for epoxy/plastic encapsulated components to enhance surface adhesion prior
to potting or encapsulating assemblies.  I would not recommend it as a
method of preparing laminates for soldermask, etc. for two reasons:  One,
proper solvent or detergent cleaning leaves a "clean" surface, suitably
activated to bond with subsequent film type materials and TWO, vapor honing
uses a very fine grit abrasive material to remove and/or peen the surface.
You have to deal with removal of the abrasive slurry from the item before
further processing and if the media is not matched to the job, you will end
up peening the surface and actually decreasing the potential surface
adhesion.  Good luck!

Sheila Smith, Tracor AES

At 01:38 PM 7/18/97 GMT, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any experience with vapor honing as a method of suface
preparation prior to dryfilm and lpi soldermask application?