TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
"Goldman, Patricia J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 97 11:36:00 PST

PLEASE NOTE:

1.   IPC is a NON-PROFIT organization with  2000+ (over two thousand) member
companies comprised of PWB manufacturers, EMSI (Electronics Manufacturing
Services Industry) providers (assemblers of PWBs), OEMs (Original Equipment
Manufacturers), and Suppliers to the industry.  In addition, Designers can
become members through the numerous Designers' Councils sponsored by IPC.

2.   Therefore, any "slamming" of the IPC,  necessarily results in
"slamming"  those 2000+ companies and their numerous employees, most notably
those who have actively participated in the creation of the standards,
specifications, training materials and, yes, artwork, for IPC.  I'll bet you
have to work with some of these companies.

3.   Most of the publications and training materials are available as a
result of much, much effort put in by employees at those member companies
(read volunteers).  Standards, specifications and training materials do not
appear out of thin air, nor are they created by IPC staff, who for the most
part merely administrate.  They also take care of the publishing and
printing.

4.   Any monies made on the materials sold are used to finance other IPC
endeavors, such as ... TechNet, ComplianceNet, and DesignerNet.  There are
many other programs also.   All major decisions on such things as programs
are made by a Board of Directors which is comprised of people employed by
regular member companies (PWB and EMSI manufacturers only).

5.   According to the catalog I have (First Quarter 1997, "Publications and
Training Materials"), test patterns are indeed available in Gerber format
(see page 2).  Maybe you need to ask for a new catalog.

6.   Generally, when somebody has a complaint, it is taken as a sign that
he/she wishes to volunteer to improve upon that which he/she is critiquing.
 IPC and us chairmen (note that chairmanships are voluntary positions)
ALWAYS welcome volunteers who are interested in improving upon the
standards, specifications, training materials, etc., for our industry.  The
100+ committees, subcommittees and task groups always welcome fresh input.
 Welcome aboard!

Too bad you just missed the IPC Spring Meeting and Expo in San Jose (last
week).  I heard there were about 7000 attendees (of course that includes
many who were involved only with the Expo or attending presentations).  So,
see you in October in Crystal City, MD at the Fall Meeting.

Patricia Goldman
PPG Industries, Inc.
Chairman, IPC Process Control Management Committee
Chairman, IPC Process Effects Handbook Subcommittee
Member, IPC Video Steering Committee