TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 13:03:38 -0500 (EST)
Dusty, the most obvious method to monitor the effect of extending the cure
cycle has on the product, is to perform 'out of press' Tg determination
using DSC. You should find that by continually extending the cure cycle, the
initial Tg will eventually start to decline. When the Tg does indeed start
to decline, you may have reached a point where thermal degredation of the
resin has started. Take care though, this analysis should be limited to only
one specific lot of prepreg since the natural lot-to-lot variation between
prepreg lots will confound your measurements.

It wouldn't hurt to ask your material supplier for assistance on this... I'm
sure that they would help.

By the way, out of curiousity, what is your metric for 'small hole quality',
is it position? hole wall roughness? gouging? can you clarify?

hope this helps

Dave Rooke
Circo Craft - Pointe Claire