TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:49:49 -0600
     Gaylor,

     Not sure where you are hearing that Plasma is good, but past fab shop
     I've worked for or surveyed from the customer end, have moved away
     from using plasma.  I could be wrong and someone in the forum may
     correct me, but this has been the underlying trend.

     Several reasons are:

     1. Cost, the dry-chemicals are very expensive.
     2. You typically have non-uniform smear removal of the hole wall.
     3. Check your local city and state ordinance on chemicals.
     4. Expensive equipment.
     5. Proper air ventilation in-place

     If you have low volumes, use sulfuric acid, but have safe and
     preventive measures in place.

     For higher volumes, I would highly recommend using Permanganate for
     smear removal.  The advantages outweigh the disadvantages of using
     this make-up.  Once you have your two chemistries mixed, just add DI
     or replace evaporated water.

     Regards,

     John Gulley - QA
     Inet Inc.