TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Fri, 03 Jan 97 09:12:52 EST

     T. Gaylor:

     As you already know the main area of consideration in flex
     manufacturing is the material.  The flex layers are an integral part
     of the construction and being a different material than the rigid
     layers, they change differently.  Flex material is a film which by
     itself will shrink or grow depending on ambient conditions.  Typically
     polyimide film, (Kapton) can change a mil per inch during processing.
     Some of this change can be compensated by scaling artwork, lamination
     cycles and lam materials and a big one, handling.

     Flex lamination requires a minimum of two lam cycles.  The first is a
     coverlayer which is the insulating film in the flex area.  This
     requires a conformal pad top and bottom in order to wrap the film
     around the conductor.  This pad structure can consist of teflon glass
     cloth, tedlar, combination materials such a trade name product,
     "pacothane" or silicone rubber.  The second lam cycle is the
     multilayer lamination which usually utilizes no-flow prepreg but could
     be constructed using an unsupported adhesive film such as Dupont's
     Pyralux.  Again there can be different pad make ups.  As with rigid
     boards there can be blind or buried via processing.

     The basic processing steps are the same for a rigid-flex as for a
     rigid board except that there are more of them, and it requires more
     tooling and front end engineering.

     Obviously equipment must be capable of handling thin cores.  A typical
     double clad core will 1 oz cu/2 mil dielectric/1 oz cu which is less
     than 5 mils thick.  The copper is usually dead soft, rolled and
     annealed which is where the handling problem comes in to play.

     Another area of concern is hole quality.  There are different drill
     parameters required for rigid-flex and you would not typically stack
     more than one high on the drill.  Desmearing in most cases requires
     plasma etch capabilities.

     These are a few of my rambling thoughts.  If you would like to discuss
     off line give me a call.

     Regards,

     Ron Yanuszewski

     603-337-1691