TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 97 13:13:25 cst
     Hi TechNet!

     Are the solder skips location dependent or always near specific types
     of other components on the assembly? You may be getting shadowing ( an
     alteration of the solder wave flow) of your components from other
     components or structures on the assembly. You could also try checking
     your nitrogen environment - a "cleaner" nitrogen blanket (i.e. less oxygen
ppm levels) will lower the solder surface tension and allow for additional
wetting. Note - really low surface tension can give you defects too!

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins