TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"George Franck Jr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:48:04 -0500
Jim,

Before I get into trouble, Jim, my answer to your question is: we use
IPC-STD-001.  Now... to get into trouble...

What is the problem with '001?  OK, I might have the problem.  I THOUGHT
that IPC-A-610 was the picture book for the workmanship requirements
(words) in J-STD-001.  Isn't that what the table in the inside cover of
J-STD-001 is meant to convey?

So why would someone call out IPC-A-610, when J-STD-001 already does it
for you?  I know it is a common practice, but have never understood it,
even for commercial work.

For example, if one called out IPC-A-610 only, it might be acceptable to
inspect the solder joints looking through a microscope backwards, to a
15% AQL level.

HEY, IPC... Was the '610 intended to be used as a stand alone?
Or was it established for the 'reading impaired' who could not
understand 'J-STD-001?

There, that should insult enough people to provide me a broad education
on the subject by the time you guys get done flaming me!  Thank you for
the barbecue.  I'll get the sauce.  Learning can be painful, but always
worth the trouble.

George Franck

On Jan 10, 10:19am, Jim Marsico 516-595-5879 wrote:
> Subject: ASSY: J-STD-001 vs. IPC-A-610
> Has any military contractor adopted IPC-610 as their workmanship
standard (in
> lieu of J-STD-001) to call out on your drawings as a replacement for
> MIL-STD-2000?  Does anyone think this would not be adequate (even if
all
> processes are documented in internal specs)?
>
> Any information will help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Marsico
> (516) 595-5879
>
>                         ********************************
>                         *       ______   _   _  _____  *
>                         *      / ___  | | | | | _____  *
>                         *     / /___| | | | | | _____  *
>                         *  __/  ____  | | | | |______  *
>                         * |____/    |_| |_| |________| *
>                         *                              *
>                         *         SYSTEMS, INC.        *
>                         ********************************

    *

***
> * If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please
contact   *
> * Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]
    *

***

--

George Franck Jr
Raytheon E-Systems

"The opinions expressed are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the Raytheon Corporation."