From:
[log in to unmask] (DAVY.J.G-)
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 15:20:36 -0500
    Re: http://www.automata.com/ipc/TechNet/0436.html

    Hi, Jim:

    I found the request for info that you posted some time back on the "average"
    number of solder defects that occur on PTH assemblies.  I don't know whether
    you got any responses, but I thought I'd throw my comments your way.  I have
    talked to people who state that the solder defect rate in their factory is
    in the hundreds per million (check with Jerry Rosser, Dave Hillman, Ralph
    Woodgate), and years ago I visited a Hewlett Packard plant in Cupertino
    which was running in the single digits per million, so I know that very low
    rates are possible - not just on occasion but consistently.

    Every defect has a cause - it isn't just a random event. The manufacturing
    engineer who is responsible for the process must identify every cause and
    eliminate it.  The cause may not be the process - it may be a bad design or
    acceptance of bad material.  This latter category would include not only
    solderability, but also plating of the through holes.  There should be no
    need to require solder fill to compensate for conditions like plating voids
    and cracks in the knee - a board with such conditions should never get into
    the factory (and the reliability of the "fix" is dubious).  Many
    manufacturing engineers regard problems of design and material as outside
    their domain and too difficult to deal with, so they just learn to live with
    chronic pain as they attempt to "make do" with the processes that are under
    their control.

    A defect may also be "caused" by the inspector or the acceptance
    requirement, in that a condition that does not threaten the reliablity may
    be identified as a defect because of a belief.  "Grainy solder" is an
    example of what I'm talking about.  Solder that freezes slowly is not smooth
    and shiny, but it's just as reliable, and it was just as reliable even back
    when it was believed that solder had to be shiny to be acceptable.  Each
    such belief impedes progress to the intended goal; eliminating each takes a
    lot of time and discussion (and may not even be successful, since some
    people seem to prefer problems they understand to solutions they don't).

    Some inspectors reject connections that they don't like the looks of,
    regardless of whether a nonconformance to a requirement exists.  In fact, of
    all the processes going on in the factory, the one most likely to be out of
    control is the solder inspection process, as every study that has ever been
    reported has shown.  Which connections get reworked is largely a matter of
    who looked at them.

    The defect may even be caused by the standard - you probably remember when
    the Weapons Spec set a limit on how hot the top of the board could get
    before the board entered the wave, limited the temperature of the solder,
    and limited the time in the wave, while also requiring that the solder flow
    out onto the top land.  That combination of requirements artificially set a
    limit on the heat capacity of an assembly that could be wave soldered, since
    the top land has to get above the melting temperature of the solder in order
    to wet.  We've come a long way since those days, and today soldering
    standards do not impose arbitrary process limits.

    There is no reason why there should be any defects at all on a
    properly-designed assembly if built only with parts that actually meet their
    procurement specifications, and if only those conditions that reduce
    reliability (which I term "risky defects") are counted, by people who have
    been trained (and certified) to make good decisions.

    The biggest problem I have encountered in trying to reduce the occurrence of
    solder defects has been the tightly-held (and widely-held) belief that
    "we've always had solder defects and we always will" - a self-fulfilling
    prophecy. This fatalistic attitude regards solder defects as inevitable, as
    if the most that could be hoped for is keeping them under control.

    Gordon Davy
    Northrop Grumman ESSD
    410-993-7399