Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 96 17:16:26 +0100
FW: (82 lines)

> Jan,
>
> Hi, Your comment of the 4 degree angle caught my eye.  Does the four
degree
> conveyor angle of the wave machine cause you any problems on other
> components?  We frequently have problems also with soldering SOT's.  I
am
> just wondering if the four degree angle caused any problems with
solder
> bridging, or if it has helped yeilds all around.  We also use a Low
Solids
> Flux 1.5% solids with a dual wave soldering system - our conveyor
angle
> however is set closer to 6 Deg.
>
> Any comments appreciated,
>
> Jason Bruenning

Hi Jason,
Well, sometimes we have bridging problem. That's mostly on components,
such as d-sub or similar if they're going on the convoyer towards the
wave. That's easily fixed if you have possibility to rotate the board so
the components pinconfiguration goes through wave like a boat as we use
to say. Let me illustrate:

I-----I      XXXX
I  X  I      XXXX
I  X  I      XXXX
I  X  I      XXXX
I  X  I      WAVE
I  X  I      XXXX
I  X  I      XXXX
I-----I      XXXX

connector    Wave       = Bridging

----------------------    XXXX
I                    I    XXXX
I X X X X X X X X X  I    XXXX
I                    I    WAVE
----------------------    XXXX
                          XXXX

Connector                 Wave     =Much less bridging

This is how we use to solve the bridging problem, sometimes it's a
bigger problem but that's mostly because of soldering ability and that
we can't rotate the board.
Try and set the angle at 4 degrees and try.. Let me know the results
later.

Regards,
Jan Merstrand
Operation Engineer