From:
"John Gully" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 15:45:19 +600 CDT
Dave,

Obviously it is not a Fabrication Issue.  However, some PE
Departments can easily program the CIM avoiding the X-out parts
while others choose not to.  It is also machine driven.  Some
Pick and Place units allow for such modifications, while others
do not.

Using a scenario from my past experience; take a DIMM Module, 8
DIMMs per array in a 1x8 configuration.

If you have a Production Control Department, they issue BOMs to
Manufacturing Dept. for KITTING.  The BOM is for 40 arrays or 320
parts.  More than likely they are not aware that 50 arrays were
sent to complete the 40 array order.  Somebody in MFG is confused
because they have excess boards at Pick and Place.

The X-outs are not all in the same location on the array, so the
CIM program would have to be modified for each X-out case.

Back to machinery:  If your through-hole or SMD equipment allows,
add to the PCB legend an Array configuraion (legend).  Request
your PCB supplier to mark x-outs with a black marker or similar
across the legend for the designated board in the panel.  The
assembly unit would first read the bar code (legend) to determine
which parts were good or bad in the array.  Then assembly could
presume.  There are other methods I've used, this beig the most
practicle.

Keep your Production Control and Manufacturing informed of
the arrays delivered to yield parts for the lot.  The tracking
is sometimes a pain.

Hope this helps.

ps.  Allow X-outs, everyone benefits.

John Gulley - PE