From:
"Crawford, John A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 05 Dec 95 08:51:00 EST

Following from the EMPF HelpLine, prepared by Jeff Kukelhan:

There are two types of gold coatings available: electrolytic and
electroless.
Electrolytic is usually thicker (50 to 100 microinches).  It is often used
for
mechanical contacts (edge connectors), although I have seen electrolytic
gold
used for solderable surfaces.

The more common finish for solderable surface mount boards is immersion (or
electroless) gold.  The copper pads are first plated with about 50
microinches of
Ni.   When immersed in the Au bath, some of the Ni enters solution and
reduces the
Au.  The Au precipitates out on the Ni surface.  The process is self
limiting because
eventually all of the Ni is covered with Au.  When there is no Ni left to go
into solution,
no more Au will percipitate.  The resulting Au coating is about 5 to 15
microinches
thick.  The amount of Au covering the pads is so small that when covered
with a
nominal amount of solder paste it will not embrittle the resulting joint.  I
have copies
of two articles printed within the last two years that deal with immersion
Au coated
boards, and how to avoid joint embrittlement.  If you are interested in
obtaining
copies, contact the EMPF HelpLine at 317.226.5616 or
[log in to unmask] (alt short address