From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 12:21:50 -0500
you said:

>Be careful in price comparisons when concerning OSP's.  Unlike metallic
>finishes, its price is frequently figured for board surface square feet(6'
>for 18"x24")due to relatively high dragout losses, not finished square
>feet(in most cases, <3').

Interesting. So I infer this: If I have a 10" x 7.2" PWB design to be
fabbed as 4-up on an 18" x 24" panel, each unit represents 72 sq inch per
side, 144 sq in both sides.

>There are definite benefits in processing for the board shop. It is
>possible, not recommended, to re-work the product forever, or until you
>(10's of microinchs a time) etch your copper below spec.
>
>Additionally, since it is recommended as the final step prior to bagging,
>images are processed as images, not panels of 4 of more(for other methods).
>With every extra image per panel, handling at the board shop will increase,
>causing non-material operating costs to increase.

I guess you mean image = unit...
So, is the cost estimated based on the panel area, or the unit area? That
would be 6 square feet (both surfaces) for the panel, or 4 sq ft for the
four units...

>Once ALL costs are figured, OSP's could be equal to (or better than) HASL
>dollarwise (depending on product). They do seem better environmentally and
>have much better planarity than HASL, but I do not think it will warrant
>cost reduction until it replaces HASL as a board shop's primary
>solderability preservative.

You know, my gut feel is you are exactly right here. Most board shops will
only offer it as a premium until they have it running in quantities, and
until it has gained general acceptance with big OEM's, or IPC has a spec
covering it, or the EPA mandates it...

My own opinion is that OSP is a good process, and probably will eventually
be very popular. It brings to mind how long it took for SMOBC to really
"take over" from subtractively processed tin-lead plated boards (when
everybody in the industry know it made sense).