From:
Tom Cinque <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 17:14:39 -0400 (EDT)

On 7 Sep 1995, Smith, Joshua wrote:

> We have observed corrosion caused by ionic impurities in adhesives we are
> using for an application.  We have looked at total content (burn off) and
> extractable ionics (90 deg C, 40 hrs).
> 1)What standards/ procedures are accepted for measuring Ionic impurities :
> On or in flex circuits?
> on/in PCBs?
> in adhesives for PCBs?
> In adhesives for chip attach?
>
> 2)What are acceptable levels of contamination in each of these applications?
>
> 3)We have been told that 200 ppm is acceptable for PCB applications while IC
> people require 20ppm.  Is this true?
>
> 4) What are the primary ions that cause trouble.  Cl, Br, F others?
>
> Josh Smith
> Information, Imaging and Electronics Sector Research Laboratory
> 3M co
> 612-736-1101

Josh,

Most companies go by MIL SPEC 883D Method 5011.2 "Evaluation and
Procedures For Polymeric Adhesives."  The maximum level of contamination for
Na+, K+, and F- are 50 ppm.  The level for Cl- is much higher at 300
ppm.  However, most companies prefer levels below 20 ppm for all four ions.

Tom Cinque
Alphametals
(201) 434-6778 x2259