From:
"Terry Davey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 20:09:34 +0000

Does anyone have experience with using high value non-polarised (ceramic?)
substitutes for SMT tantulum capacitors? Does it look like a winner or a
loser in terms of yield/reliability problems?

One problem we're looking to eliminate is the "time-bomb" effect of low ppm
level of reversed tantulum caps (they may take months to "blow"). They are
possibly reversed when missing autoplaced components are hand-placed in
rework.

On the other hand we've also had issues with a bad batch of MLC ceramics
doing similar tricks (going low ohm s/c after shipment). Both can cause major
problems in the field when fed from high-current power supplies.

Thanks for your time and have a good Christmas.

Terry Davey ([log in to unmask])