From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:10:07 -0600
Leo Reynolds asked:

>From time to time, we split reels of SMT taped components so that we can
>run the same part on two or three pick & place machines.  Of course this
>only occurs on small or end of run projects where there is only one reel
>of parts available.
>
>Our question is, Are there splicing systems available for attaching
>leaders on the cut end of the reels to eliminate parts loss?

Yes. Siemens makes one; this is a hand tool, uses a metal foil splice under
the tape, and you apply plastic film tape over the cover tape by hand after
you crimp the splice. You must cut the two pieces of reel tape by hand
prior to splicing. The tool has two pairs of pins to align the butted tape.

Cost is steep, $1,400 for the tool with a box of about 100 splices.
Order part number 2102987. Additional box of splices is p/n 2102988 for $546.
contact Siemens Industrial Automation in Alpharetta, GA 770-740-3922

You will probably have to go through some rigamorole to get an account
established and order. (Don't tell 'em I sent you...)

good luck,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX