Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 16:31:56 -0400
I believe that If you are having trouble soldering to both the PCB and the
components your problem lies in the solder paste or the reflow profile.

We have been using Ni/Au plated boards on one line for several months now with
no real solderability issues. We are using no-cleans also, and your WS-609
aqueous paste should be even more active than our paste. I don't believe playing
around with nickel and gold thicknesses will help you for the two reasons.

First your gold layer is an probably an immersion (chemical displacement)
deposit with limited plating thickness deposition. I don't believe you have the
option of increasing gold thickness as the plating stops at about the thickness
you mentioned in you text. This is also too little gold to cause gold
embrittlement, although your solder joints may net be as bright as those made to
HASL PCBs.

The nickel thickness should have no effect on your solderability.

Since you are using nitrogen the areas I would focus on would therefore be bad
solder paste or the incorrect solder reflow profile.

Check the recommended solder reflow profile with Alpha for the WS-609 and try to
get a fresh batch of paste.

Regards,

George Ead

     George,