Date:
Wed, 09 Aug 95 12:37:54

  On  9 August 1995, Eric wrote:

>> Here's a third party, truly concerned opinion. I am the unfortunate MIS
>> person who is forced to wade through the junk that has been sent out now
>> for the past few days...

  Eric, for some reason, I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding your
  anger..."forced to wade through the junk?", being a MIS person, I would
  have thought that you might know about mail managers, or mail handlers..
  ..they've been around quite a while, in fact you can download them off
  the NET for free. If that's too much trouble, just trash all the Job
  Postings that you see if you really feel it's junk...that takes all of
  2-seconds. So far, from what I've counted, and it includes this email
  too, there's been less than 15-20 posts on this thread, not quite at the
  volume yet that requires using the word "Wade"...

>> My understanding was that this mailing list was for TECHNICAL information
>> to assist one another with...

  It HAS BEEN, and CONTINUES TO BE *THE* best resource on the INTERNET in
  our business! Job postings to the list I feel is just one other very good
  way to assist each other...god forbid that something should ever happen
  to your company or your position there, but if it did, wouldn't it be
  nice to be able to post your availability and talents on a mail-list that
  consists of your peers?

>> You are wasting my time and network resources by including this
>> information here.

  I still don't buy that it's a waste of your time Eric. If the past few
  days posts on this subject were replaced with "Technical" posts that had
  nothing to do with what you or your company does, wouldn't that be a
  waste of *YOUR* time too?...your reasoning doesn't make any sense.
  As far as being a waste of network resources, your email sure justifies
  the bandwidth it occupies. To coin a phrase I've once heard in the past;

       "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."......

>> If some of you feel so strongly about having this "public" information
>> (even though someone else, the company you work for most likely, is
>> paying for the internet connection and you are reading this on company
>> time) available, then you can see about starting up a mailing list
>> dedicated to the topic.

  ......Sheesh! I'm not gonna' even respond to that one....

>> You could also startup a newsgroup that is dedicated to the subject of
>> job posting.  As far as I'm concerned, this mailing list should be about
>> technical information and if someone is unhappy in their job, then
>> they'll be out looking for one.

>> One man's opinion (not the company's)

  ...This one statement above is about the only thing I agree with!!!

                              ////

                             |  @@ /      Steve Gregory
                             C   )        Process Training Engineer
                ////
       \_o         Pragmatech Incorporated
               |  @@ /                    101 Nicholson Lane
               C   )                      San Jose, California 95134
                          |  @@ /         Phone:(408) 943-1151
                          C   )           Fax:(408)943-1461
                           \_o