TECHNET Archives

March 2022

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2022 07:48:13 -0700
Hi Ben-

Well said.

I see an epidemic of poorly designed systems using these types of joints.

As these "special" connections are now commonplace, perhaps it is time for
IPC to update the butt joint section to include them. Or perhaps include
their own section called "highly stressed solder joints". After all, that's
the predominant engineering challenge with these things: (Pin-to-pad
contact area) / (potential lever arm) is relatively small, especially when
compared to the pin stiffness.

Wayne Thayer