TECHNET Archives

August 2021

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2021 08:00:22 -0600
Yeah, the parts were in a sealed MBB and the label has these at MSL3 and
the HIC card was solid blue. Only discovered this after starting to build
and noticed that the QFP's were raised. Pulled one up and noticed the
blister on the bottom. Reflow profile was a typical SAC305 profile. Looked
in the trays and saw that a good number of them were already popcorned just
sitting in the tray. The blister is always on the bottom, is that where the
plastic is usually the thinnest, and why that it's on the bottom?

This is just an off the wall question, and I think I know the answer, can
these parts popcorn like this and still function? I know the packaging has
been compromised, but if the wire bonds weren't broken when it popcorned,
that would explain why the board would still function.  Another off the
wall question, what if we went through these parts and tried to visually
sort the good ones from the bad ones, then baked the ones that looked good
and used them? I think all of them should be scrapped. But people are
getting pretty desperate in these times with the component shortages out
there.

Steve

Steve

--