TECHNET Archives

August 2021

Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2021 20:06:46 +0000
I have posted this info here before. You can find it by searching the Technet Archives using "accelerometer" and you should see it. I don't have the time to repeat all of the information right at the moment.
Strain gauges don't work very well for measuring stress/strain from inertial movement, but there are wireless accelerometer systems out there you can place on your board and monitor and store all movement, shock, vibration, etc.
They work in conjunction with a receiver/datalogger. It keeps track of everything over a long period of time.
I used them to find the vibration or random cycling that was causing MEMS gyrometers to fail.
It wasn't during fabrication of the MEMS itself.
It wasn't handling during transit, either from the fabricator to the manufacturing plant, nor from the plant to shipping, nor from the distribution center to the avionics assembly factory, nor from the vibration or shock of the plane itself.
If was from the cavitation during the inline cleaning process after reflow.
When the inline cleaner wash and rinse pressure settings were adjusted down, but with a longer dwell time, not only did the problem disappear altogether, but the cleanliness contamination readings as measured by SIR, Ionograph, and ion chromatography testing went way down. Surprise!
We learned a huge amount of lessons from this. Simple things like routing a populated assembly out of a panel can destroy many sensitive components.
Odin