TECHNET Archives

May 2020

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2020 07:00:57 -0700
Hi Nigel-

Don't use ANY nickel in an area of flex you intend to bend. Use ImAg or OSP.

ANY plating is vertically grained as opposed to rolled-annealed, so when
you put it over the RA you have wonderful crack initiators that propagate
right through the RA. Nickel is the worst. Yes, ImAg is still plating, but
it appears to be thin enough not to be a problem.

If you can protect any bend areas from the plating, then there is no
problem with ENIG.

Wayne Thayer