TECHNET Archives

May 2020

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2020 15:13:07 -0700
Hi Ben-

Active fluxes wick up stranded wire ahead of the solder wetting. Therefore
there will be flux residue chased up into the strands. If this is
corrosive, the strands will rot up inside the insulation. Usually the
"rotting" is caused by acidic degradation of the stranded wires. The
chemical process apparently uses the halides in a catalytic way, where the
same halide ion can destroy another piece of the wire since it is
automatically regenerated. The process limiter is usually moisture, so if
you can hermetically seal (and get all of the water molecules out) then the
problem is minimized. But most polymers allow water to migrate through.

It seems to me that the plastic shell of the solder sleeve is most likely
not hermetic with respect to water vapor--but even if it were, there's no
way the "seal" around the portions where the wire exits is hermetic.

My question is the reasoning on why solder sleeves aren't forced to use
ROL0, or whether I'm misreading the WHMA's standards.

Wayne T